26 February 2009

Pre-Approval on the Rest of my Life

We were pre-approved for a home loan. And we've contacted a realtor. And he's going to start sending us listing of homes in our area.

Bleh.

Dr. Nate sees this as a good thing. Something to do with "equity" and "place to practice trumpet without annoying the jesus-neighbors downstairs." I see it as "there is no guy that will magically fix the hot water heater for free anymore" and "I've never used a lawn mower in my life."

Seriously. I have never used a lawn mower in my life. I am not making this up.

Whatever it is that guy is doing in the picture is not something I know how to do. I think there's a pull-string on it. But beyond that and the idea of pushing it forward, I have no clue.

My dad is, if anything, exceedingly particular about his lawn. There is a certain way you care for a lawn in his household and no one is privy to this method except he. It's a vast method involving charts and graphs, two different lawn mowers and other various and sundry equipment, and a schedule of fertilization that follows the phases of the moon, with exceptions for reports of solar flares. One week mowing is done side to side. The next week it is corner to corner. The following week is paint the fence.

So mowing the lawn was, and still is, my father's domain. And at nearly 34 years old I'm not sure if I want my skill set to include lawn mowing experience. There are far cooler things I could add to my skill set. Gene splicing? Yes. Free diving? Yes. Use of lawn-grooming implements? Not so much.

I suppose eventually I'll get on board with this whole home-buying idea, but I plan to make sure that the place is zoned for sheep. I'm pretty sure lawn care is already part of their skill set.

4 comments:

Nanette said...

I've never used a lawn mower either. My parents were afraid I'd chop my foot off with it.

That said, I've lived in my house for three years, and I've still never used the lawn mower. Tim mows the lawn. If he's not around, it grows until he comes back.

I'm also not very fond of moving the sprinklers around during the summertime, so Tim often comes home to long, half-dead grass. I consider the lawn his responsibility and not mine. It's just grass, and it will grow back if I kill it or whatever.

ALM said...

Nanette,

"Man's work" it is then, since there is a precedent set for this (thank you for that). I will inform Nate, but will soften the blow by offering to take care of the interior equivalent: vacuuming and mopping.

He also better not expect me to plant flowers or a garden. I kill plants. Nearly all plants. Although I do have hopes I call pull off some organic, fair-trade hops farming...

Michael L. Heien said...

You don't need to bother putting in a lawn. You can go for astroturf, or some rocks. Those are easier to care for.

Good luck!

ALM said...

Perhaps some of that blue indoor-outdoor carpeting....