14 October 2008

Snout Sandwich?

I did something the other day that I normally don't do: purchase breakfast meats. Sausage is pretty darn good and I like it. I rarely buy it, though, since the thought of making anything more involved than cereal in the morning is anathema to me. But Those From Whose Loins Sprang Dr. Nate visited this past weekend. Which meant breakfast was upgraded for a few days.

But that's not the point.

The point is that I was in the grocery store buying said breakfast sausage and ran across something I've never heard of before: Scrapple. Scrapple? Yep, scrapple. I also ran across something called "pork roll" but that doesn't seem quite as interesting.


So, this scrapple...I'm both horrified and intrigued by it, but who wouldn't be horrified and intrigued by any breakfast meat (and I use the term "meat" rather loosely here) that appears to be a gray loaf of pressed glop?

And not only was this scrapple available, it was placed prominently in the case and there were no less than three different brands of it. If companies are paying for eye-level shelf space for this stuff, people have to be eating it, right?

But what, exactly, ARE they eating? What lies in the depths of that pressed loaf 'o grayness?

"Pork Stock, Pork Livers, Pork Fat, Pork Snouts, Corn Meal, Pork Hearts, Wheat Flour, Salt, Spices."

Pork snouts. Did you know you could eat snouts? I didn't.

I was so intrigued (and horrified) by scrapple that I dragged poor Dr. Nate over to the refrigerated case and made him look at it. Strangely, he didn't seem as disturbed as I. Seems he had already heard about said delicacy from coworkers. Dr. Nate even informed me that scrapple isn't confined to pork varieties, but is a catch-all term for any pressed loaf of glop made from the left over bits and pieces of an animal. You could have beef scrapple. Or deer scrapple. I guess it's that old Pennsylvania Dutch ideal of waste not, so eat gross things.

So I'm debating on whether or not I actually want to buy some of this just to torture myself and Dr. Nate in the name of science. Or if I should just stick to cereal. I'm leaning toward cereal.

5 comments:

brando said...

Wow. This reads like Steve Don't Eat It. Then I saw that you have Steve in your link-bar.

My opinion might not pull much weight around here, but I think it would be in everyone's best interest if you steered clear of the scrapple.

Maybe get some spicy sausage and whip up some nice flour gravy. You could get some biscuits going, even the Pillsbury kind would do. Then you could just gorge yourself on biscuits and sausage gravy, and wash it down with a tall glass of ice cold orange juice. Maybe have a mug of fresh coffee.

That sounds like a nice way to spend a Sunday morning while flipping through the Sunday paper.

ALM said...

I'm leaning so far in the direction of "this is something I should not do" that I'm practically falling over.

Nate said that a coworker of his LOVES this stuff, but that he grew up eating it, but it's an acquired taste. He gave some deer scrapple to another coworker who will eat anything. Even that guy nearly hoarked when he tried it.

And considering my FF browser doesn't even think "scrapple" is a word, I think I may have to pass.

Have you tried it? Do you know first hand the horrors?

brando said...

I gotta tell you, I love food.

And I've never heard of this Scrapple.

The name implies that it's a mixed up mess of unknown insanity.

Tim said...

If you ever find any Squirrel Scrapple, buy it!! Just for the alliteration alone.

ALM said...

I may have a line on some homemade scrapple for uh....making Dr. Nate try. A guy at his office makes deer scrapple and has offered to give us some next time he makes it. Oh, the horror...

Maybe it's like blood sausage - burn the hell out of it and you don't actually taste much of anything other than charred bits.