24 October 2007

Good To Watch

I love television, I really do. Current things I like to watch:

#1 Top Gear (BBC America). It's just good--really, really good. Plus, I'm in love with The Stig.


#2 CSI and/or Law and Order (any flavor of each on myriad stations). Because, no matter when you turn on the t.v., at least one is always on and just entertaining enough to watch while on the treadmill or Nordictrack-thingy. And chances are that I haven't seen whatever episode is on, so that's even better when whiling away the time exercising.

#3 This Old House. One day I will own a house and, thanks to This Old House, I know to call people to fix things, rather than doing it myself.

#4 Hell's Kitchen (British or American). Gordon Ramsey making people cry is good television.

#5 Nova. Science is neato. Alas, I have to wait until summer for the return of Nova ScienceNOW and it's host Neil deGrasse Tyson.


#6 Sunrise Earth (Animal Planet). This is obviously the work of EEEEEHHHHHHH HIPPIES. It's just a camera set to capture nature doing..uh....natural things. No sound track, no voice over.

#7 Classic Arts Showcase. It's a whole channel, rather than one program. Nothing but videos of classical music, ballet, dance, etc. performances. There's some really weird stuff on it.

#8 Big Love (HBO). A poor substitution for other, better HBO shows that I loved but no longer exist: The Sopranos, Six Feet Under, and Carnivale. Big Love is about polyamist Mormons (which normally I'd be fervently opposed to), but it has Harry Dean Stanton in the cast. And I love Harry Dean Stanton more than The Stig, and perhaps even more than Neil deGrasse Tyson.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I also love Big Love and Nova. Cory and I were entranced by last week's Nova on epigenetics.

Anonymous said...

so here in Europe, we don't get much good tv. We had found an awesome website where there were probably 200 different tv shows that were linked to. You could download most if not all of the episodes ever made from these. However, last week the webpage was down. . . .turns out the guy was arrested linking illegally.

http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/tv_links_founder_arrested.php

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/technology/2007/10/20/tv_links_shut_down_for_linking_.html

ALM said...

Alas, we gave up our HBO,so we'll have to wait to get next season's Big Love on disc. I missed the Nova on epigenetics (I'll have to TiVo a repeat of it). We've gotten into the whole slew of prison documentaries that are clogging the CourtTV channel and MBNBC. They always show the "wall o' shanks" - good stuff!

Cory said...

Ummm...where's my man Bear? Gotta represent for the Grylls.

Regardless of the rumors of half-assin' around Man vs. Nature, I saw Bear scuttle along a fallen tree over a river full of alligators, right after he ate an entire handful of ant larvae. Awesome.

ALM said...

We do love the Bear--anyone who regularly eats grubs, drinks his own urine, and pees on his t-shirt and then wraps it around his head it tops in the eyes of the Hatcher/Maroso household. But I still don't love him as much as Harry Dean or The Stig. I wonder who would win in a fight between Bear and Gordon Ramsay? (My money is on Gordon--he's a scrapper, that one.)

Ha! I'm glad we're not the only ones who have noticed the new disclaimers on the show! Yes, the "Bear didn't really do all this stuff for real and those fish in that stream were planted." Oh well - he still eats grubs and gets naked for the camera often enough that I'll forgive him.