27 November 2007

Xmas at the 5-Oh-7

Because I tend to get really grumpy about the holidays (I HATE shopping for gifts), I decided to talk Dr. Nate, Ph.D, into decorating the house...ya know - to get me into better spirits. And to make our trashy, little rental house look a bit less trashy. We went with some garland and bows on the porch (which plays off the lovely pink trim and teal shutters already on the house, don't you think?):

Internally, our "we bought it for $1.50 from the grocery store two Februarys ago" gold lame tree is, this year, enhanced by red ornaments!

And the cats were enhanced with antlers. One of them deigned to allow us to capture the moment:

Note the look of utter hatred.

So yeah, the whole decorating thing was fun while it lasted (pushing past the herds of wandering biddies at the place where we bought the decorations was not), but I'm pretty much back to being grumpy again, now that I have to start figuring out what to buy people.

Although, the holiday season does allow me the pleasure of cranking up Twisted Sister's "Twisted Christmas" on the stereo. For whatever reason, Nate won't allow me to play it all year long. Love that Dee Snider!

5 comments:

Cory said...

'Tis truly a Griswold Christmas on Edwin Blvd!

Don't worry about your hatred of the holidays, everyone born between 1970-1985 hates the holidays, which comes from being raised by whiny Boomers.

When you visit home for Xmas: "Why don't you ever visit? Why don't you ever visit? WHY DONT YOU EVER VISIT?"; When you telephone: "Why don't you ever call? Why don't you ever call? WHY DONT YOU EVER CALL?"

Xmas is the joyous time when we get to hear about all our negative points from our families. Why do you think 'The Nightmare Before Christmas' is so popular with our generation?

Anonymous said...

In the true spirit of Christmas, may I suggest getting everyone cash as a hint that you don't want to buy them gifts?

ALM said...

Alas, my hatred of the holidays is one thing I cannot blame boomers or mormons about - I *wasn't* raised by boomers (or mormons). My parents are the age of most of my peers' grandparents. I think it's actually genetic - the rest of my family seems to hate xmas nearly as much as I do. Or at least my dad certainly does. Perhaps some gene testing is in order? Has the Human Genome Project isolated the "holiday" marker yet?

Mary, good idea about the cash. Maybe I'll try that this year and then make a push, next year, to cancel xmas (at least on my side of the family).

(p.s. to both Dr. Girlfriend and Cyberninja: awesome about the move ! I'm so jealous, and can only hope Dr. Nate, Ph.D., can get us a gig there too!)

Bah humbug!

Anonymous said...

If you cannot cancel xmas, you may be able to celebrate Festivus, as seen on Seinfeld. Two years ago at Christmas my Uncle Leo actually produced an aluminum pole for our Festivus festivities. This holiday includes the airing of grievances and feats of strength.

ALM said...

Ahhh..I forgot about Festivus.

Maybe, once you get settled in your new place, you can take a trip about one hour east and pick up a Festivus pole: http://www.festivuspoles.com/pages/Festivuspoles.htm