06 December 2007

Mormons in the News--December 6 Edition

Ah...yeah...so Mitt's speech at Texas A & M ensures that I'm going to have to ask for a Republican ballot in the primary. Thus spake Mitt: "Freedom requires religion, just as religion requires freedom. Freedom opens the windows of the soul so that man can discover his most profound beliefs and commune with God. Freedom and religion endure together, or perish alone."

Then I, for one, prefer to perish. Since when does freedom require religion, and why is it that the only person I'm allowed to open the window and talk to is god? I can't talk to Buddha or the Flying Spaghetti Monster or a yeti? I guess I'll be keeping the windows closed, then.

Mitt didn't bother to address the issue of the racist past of mormons, or why D&C 132 is still on the books (aka the "polygamy clause"), or why women can't hold the priesthood, etc.

In other mormon news today, an update on Warren Jeffs, who has asked for a new trial. According to the AP, Jeffs' attorneys filed a motion stating "errors and improprieties" in his trial. The motion didn't give specific information, but Jeff's attorneys think his prosecution was a form of religious persecution by state officials who oppose polygamy.

Uh yeah....they were probably opposed to polygamy because polygamy is ILLEGAL.

3 comments:

Michael L. Heien said...

I think Mitt has a long way to go, and I think someone should press him on his church's racists views. It was 1979 when black men were allowed to join the priesthood. He was an adult then. It is fair game to ask him about his views at the time, and what he did. He was an adult, did he show leadership on the issue? How has he reconciled it? He needs to answer these questions...

WHo are you going to vote for?

Mary said...

The standard that Mitt was striving for was to equal the speech that JFK gave in 1960 answering questions about his Catholic beliefs. From the spin so far, I'd say Mitt didn't really achieve that. And it doesn't really help that when people wonder what Mormons actually believe, Mitt is mum.

ALM said...

Agreed. As I understand it (they aired the speech on CSPAN last night, but I couldn't bring myself to watch it), he didn't take any questions, a la John Kennedy did back in the day.

And yes, the man has A LOT to answer for regarding the racism of his belief system, etc. I mean, he said that he plans to live by his religious believes, and one of those is putting god before anything else and listing to the world of god, etc. So he's going to subject the entire country to the mormon belief system?

I haven't decided who I'll vote for. Since I'm choosing a republican ballot in the primary to vote AGAINST mitt, I'll either pick Ron Paul or whoever is running last.

For the real election? Whatever democrat is on the ballot...