19 December 2007

The Great Vegetarian Experiment

For various reasons, I've been batting around the idea of becoming vegetarian for quite awhile now. It's mostly the moral issue of eating "nothing with a face" (I have no idea how I'll ever give up leather shoes, though).

I've decided to try out vegetarianism for the month of January. That way, once I go back to craving steaks I can do the American thing and not bother to feel guilty about my failure as a vegetarian since I promised to do it only during the month of January.

So three cheers for my favorite simulated chik'n patties and $4.00-a-dozen, cage-free eggs (since this is moral vegetarianism, I do try to buy the so-called "humane" eggs and whatnot - I can't imagine becoming vegan)! You'll no doubt be seeing me hanging out with the EEEEEEEEEEHHH HIPPIES at Strawberry Fields swapping stories of chickpea recipes gone horribly awry.

7 comments:

JH said...

You eat leather shoes?

ALM said...

What can I say? They are tasty.

Anonymous said...

So does this mean I can't come home gnawing on a raw cow leg anymore (at least in front of you)?

ALM said...

You still can if you promise to cook the cow leg first. Don't you remember the last time you came home with a raw one? It got blood all over the carpeting.

Cory said...

I decided to try being vegetarian for a whole week back in undergrad, and I felt so good all the time I lasted 7 months! There is something about eating vegetarian that makes you feel really good, probably just because you aren't eating so much crap (and you can feel snottily superior to McDonald's-goers). The deal breaker was that after 7 months I had lost boatloads of muscle and gained a proportionate amount of fat, from eating so little protein (and so much cheese!).

Suggestion: Get some protein powder and make it a regular part of your diet. Also try to eat other things than cheese every meal as a protein source (you'll find its not so easy to get a veggie meal without cheese).

Good luck ya hippee!

JH said...

Legumes and quinoa are good protein sources.

ALM said...

Oh, cheese...how I love thee.

I'm hoping to stay away from as much cheese as possible (because I can see resorting to it for the protein fix). I've stocked up on "simulated chik'n patties" and figure that I'll try to go with eggs/egg whites or beans (I like only black beans, however) as much as possible. I've never tried any decent tofu recipes.

We do have two very large containers of whey protein at home (chocolate flavor). It's kind of high in calories, though.

Jeff, I'll try the quinoa - I figure I can use it kind of like bulgur or rice - make some salads.