22 February 2008

One Pair of New Eyeballs, Please

LASERs are awesome. LASERs just reshaped my sister's eyeballs and now she's got, like, bionic eyes with 20/15 vision. (No word yet on if she makes that nifty bionic sound when she runs, though.)

Due to this fact, LASERs will also be reshaping my own eyeballs, through a process known as IntraLase LASIK, next month. Thanks to Dr. Nate for the early birthday present, and for not suggesting that we go do the self-checkout lane of the grocery store and use that LASER in a do-it-yourself attempt.

I can only hope that, once the procedure is over with, I will be able to hold my eyeballs up in a plastic bag and enter secure locations to rescue bald people drowning in soymilk. Hopefully it won't also cause me to go out an join a religious cult and become detestable.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats and good luck with your procedure. Be prepared for itchy scratchy eyes that you can't touch, but amazing vision that allows you to read the clock during the night and the shampoo bottle in the shower.

JH said...

Frikkin' LASERS!

Mary said...

Great news! I've heard it takes like 20 seconds per eye. Personally, I don't need to read the shampoo bottle. I've memorized: lather, rinse, repeat...lather, rinse, repeat...

ALM said...

Tim,

My sister reported that she has had no irritation whatsoever - even right after the procedure! I'm hoping genetics makes the same go for me. She was reporting being able to read the signs above the aisles in the grocery store by the next day. So I'm very excited.

As far as shampoo bottles - it will actually be useful to me. I always forget what come after "lather"...

Anonymous said...

Interesting to hear about your sister's experience. I just remember TONS of irritation that day, night and a little the next day. I do remember being able to kind of watch a basketball game on TV that very night, but the next day was amazingly a different (clear) world. Oh, but the itchy eyes, that sticks in my head. I did have the procedure done a second time (touch up) since my vision was so bad the first correction was to get me in the ballpark. The second round was not bad at all, and no cutting either, I guess my "flap" was still flapable one year post-op. Less irritation then too.

ALM said...

Maybe it's the way the procedure was done? My sister's used a LASER to make the flap, rather than the whatchamacallit (keratome?) blade. I don't know if that would make a difference or not. And it sounds like neither my sister or I have as bad vision as you did, so maybe that also helps since they don't have to do as much reshaping?? Weird that the flaps are still flappable even a year later. I'll have to remember that!!

Still, I'm happy to put up with itchiness for a few days if it means being able to read the signs above the aisles in the grocery store!