01 February 2008

Not Like When I Was Six

Dr. Nate and I were having a discussion the other day on whether or not things from our childhood are as good now as we remember them. Case in point: Tang.

I remember having Tang as a kid and it was always most excellently tasty. Expect for when my grandmother, Mümmy, made it. She used 1 teaspoon Tang drink mix per 5 gallons of water. Basically, it was just orange-colored water. But when in the proper ratio of mix:water it was good stuff.

But is Tang just as good as I remember it? Heck, do they still make Tang?

Why yes, Virginia, they DO still make Tang, as evidenced by the bottom shelf of the "drink mix" section of the Schnucks grocery store in Savoy, Illinois. I bought the last (or was it the only?) container. Following the directions on the package, I carefully measured out the appropriate amount of powdered mix for two cups of water. The water immediately turned neon. A lot like Kryptonite, only orange.

It appears Kraft purchased an old radium watch dial factory on the cheap and is using it to manufacture Tang. I shudder to think what the reading on a Geiger counter is when stuck in a glass of the stuff.

Interesting Day-Glo color aside, the stuff is plain awful. Dr. Nate thought so, too. Sickly sweet (as you'd expect). Even when the ratio of mix:water was adjusted to Mümmy-like weakness, it still was exceedingly nasty.

I suppose I will donate the leftover mix to NASA. I'm sure the astronauts still drink it.

What's up with the weird name for my grandmother, you ask? It's because I couldn't pronounce "Mütti" when I was very young; it came out as "Mümmy." "Mütti" having been family slang (or perhaps just general German slang) or "Mutter."

5 comments:

JH said...

Put it on vanilla ice cream and mix it all up.

Alternatively, I think if you spread the remaining Tang(r) product around the perimeter of your house, it will keep away ants and ghosts.

Astronauts took Tang to the moon!(r)

ALM said...

I'm surprised we weren't the only kids who put Tang on vanilla ice cream. Here I thought we were starting a trend.

I never thought about using it to keep away ants and ghosts...I wonder if it'll also kill slugs?

JH said...

I wonder if it'll also kill slugs?

I suspect that ALM Laboratories has that in their research budget.

OldTim said...

"Mütti" having been family slang (or perhaps just general German slang) or "Mutter."

"Mutti" (no umlaut) is German for "Mommy."

I haven't had Tang in probably 25 years, and after reading your report, I think I'll just stick with my watered-down Gatorade powder mix.

ALM said...

Tim, I was hoping you'd come to the rescue on the German language thing there. I guess if "Mutti" has no umlaut, "Mummy" shouldn't either. But then it would be a little confusing, since we pronounced the "u" as one would the "oo" in "foot." We always spelled it with the umlaut.