10 April 2008

Who's Not Your Mommy?

Behold the taxonomy of people:
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Primates
Family: Hominidae
Genus: Homo
Species: Sapien

An example of this particular taxonomy would be Kimi Räikkönen (see below):

Behold the taxonomy of the domesticated house cat:
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Felidae
Genus: Felis
Species: Catus

An example of this taxonomy would be the common tabby cat (see below):

Yes, both examples are Unikonts. Even Euteleostomes. But the similarities end in the class Mammalia.

I will admit freely that I do consider our felis cata part of the family. We miss them when we are out of town, we converse with them when we are at home, we immediately seek help and have been known to miss work when they don't feel well. We spend far too much money on them; they have more toys than I do. We take them into consideration in various household decisions. They yell, we come running.

But I did not birth them and, as such, I am not their mother. So please do not refer to me (who, like Kimi Raikkonen, is a homo sapien), as the mother of my felis cata. Nor are they my "furkids" or "fur-babies."

5 comments:

OldTim said...

So I take it you object when Dr. Nate refers to you as his "kitty mama"?

ALM said...

He normally just calls me his sweet unikont.

"Sweet Unikont" would be a good name for a rock band.

OldTim said...

Sweet Unikont?

I do believe you've made me blush.

Anonymous said...

That picture of the tabby cat looks exactly like our dear departed Ruthie. Wow, that is uncanny.

What's a Unikont?

ALM said...

Cap'n:
Unikonts are ancestors of opisthokonts (animals, fungi). Unikonts are cells with a single flagellum. Or, this is what wikipedia said, anyhow! :-)